This afternoon when I went over to Mother's she was listening to the book,
"Praise to the Man" by
Gerald N. Lund. It is book #6 of The Work & the Glory series. She wanted to pause the CD because they were getting ready to kill Joseph Smith & she didn't want to have to listen to that point again. I was interested to see this quote tonight.
"You don't know me; you never knew my heart. No man knows my history. I cannot tell it: I shall never undertake it. I don't blame any one for not believing my history. If I had not experienced what I have, I would not have believed it myself. I never did harm any man since I was born in the world. My voice is always for peace."
--Joseph Smith, Nauvoo, Illinois, April 7, 1844, History of the Church, 6:317
This was penned just weeks before the martyrdom. I have heard the phrase, "No man knows my history." But have never seen it in context. Still don't know that this is really in context, but at least it's more than I've seen before. (Unless, of course, I wasn't paying attention in D&C in Seminary either.)
"Our task is to become our best selves. One of God's greatest gifts to us is the joy of trying again, for no failure ever need be final."
--Thomas S. Monson, "The Will Within," Ensign, May 1987, 67
This is comforting. And I like "joy of trying again."
No comments:
Post a Comment