Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
~ Winston Churchill

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Destination

When going on a road trip, there is generally a destination in mind. When plotting life's journey, we should have a destination in mind.
"If we choose the wrong road, we choose the wrong destination."
--Elder Dallin H. Oaks, "Be Not Deceived," Ensign, November 2004, 44
Not all roads end up in the same place. President Thomas S. Monson had several choices for employment. He chose to stay in Salt Lake & work for Deseret News & that has made all the difference. Not only in his life, but in the lives of millions of Church members.

The following quote is from Elder Bruce R. McConkie's last conference talk. I remember it. He was so ill & he died just a few days after giving it.
"I am one of [Jesus Christ's] witnesses, and in a coming day I shall feel the nail marks in his hands and in his feet and shall wet his feet with my tears. But I shall not know any better then than I know now that he is God's Almighty Son, that he is our Savior and Redeemer, and that salvation comes in and through his atoning blood and in no other way."
--Bruce R. McConkie, "The Purifying Power of Gethsemane," Ensign, May 1985, 9
One of my favorite hymns is I Believe in Christ by Elder McConkie.

I remember meeting Elder McConkie when I worked in the Missionary Dept. He was on the Missionary Executive Committee. I had to run a letter over to the Administration Building for his signature. I expected to just give it to his secretary & she would take it in to him. She told me to go right in, he was waiting for it. OMG! This was a man I greatly admired. I couldn't imagine even being in his presence. I had on a pair of shoes with rubber soles. I remember his carpet being so soft, I tripped walking to his desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment