Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
~ Winston Churchill

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Be an example

I thought only two of the six quotes were repeats, but as I tried to think of a subject for this post, I decided I would use "Ideals are stars to steer by." I was surprised to see it pop up, meaning I had used it somewhere as a subject. I went looking for it once again. I had looked for Smith in the labels, but when I used it the first time, I used Barbara Smith. I'm sure I thought there are plenty of Smiths already. Anyway, it has been used once before here.

Elder Faust spoke about seeking to overcome selfishness in his talk, "A Pattern of Love" here. This time I read it as trying to practice charity. And President Lee's thoughts on trying to help others is so true.
"You cannot lift another soul until you are standing on higher ground than he is. You must be sure, if you would rescue the man, that you yourself are setting the example of what you would have him be. You cannot light a fire in another soul unless it is burning in your own soul."
--Harold B. Lee, "Stand Ye in Holy Places", Ensign, July 1973, 121
You cannot teach something unless you believe it yourself, but you can have faith:
"Faith implies a certain trust, even a reliance, upon the word of our Creator. If you should have doubting thoughts, remember the counsel given by President Stephen L. Richards, a former counselor in the First Presidency, who declared: "Just say to those skeptical, disturbing, rebellious thoughts, 'I propose to stay with my faith, with the faith of my people. I know that happiness and contentment are there and I forbid you, agnostic, doubting thoughts, to destroy the house of my faith. I acknowledge that I do not understand the processes of creation, but I accept the fact of it. I grant that I cannot explain the miracles of the Bible, and I do not attempt to do so, but I accept God's word. I wasn't with Joseph, but I believe him. My faith did not come to me through science and I will not permit science to destroy it."
--President Thomas S. Monson, "Great Expectations", CES Fireside January 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment