Readthescriptures dot com chose one line from Elder Russell M. Nelson's April 2008 Conference talk as a quote.
"In God's eternal plan, salvation is an individual matter; exaltation is a family matter."
I added the italics as this statement concerns me. I searched for it to read & ponder it. I also included the link so I can go back & read it fully. The next quote also confused me.
"We cannot have faith without belief, but we can believe without having faith. Belief is the foundation of faith. Faith is trusting in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. The scriptures contain many assurances of salvation to those who exercise faith and obey the commandments... Faith is the motivating force that impels action."
--O. Leslie Stone, "The Constant Exercise of Our Faith", July 1973 , Ensign pg. 59
How can we believe without having faith? So, I looked up believe, thinking, "Let's define believe." As a verb phrase, believe means to have faith in. However, as a noun it is to have confidence, without absolute proof. As a verb used with an object it has several meanings. The 4th is to suppose or assume.
No comments:
Post a Comment