I thought of this familiar quote from Joseph Smith, "I teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves."
"Well-taught doctrines and principles have a more powerful influence on behavior than rules."
--Elder Dallin H. Oaks, Ensign, Nov. 1999, 79
And yes, onward ever onward
"The path to eternal life is not on a plateau. Rather, it is an incline, ever onward and upward. Hence, ever-increasing spiritual understanding and energy are required to reach our destination. Because the pernicious opposition by Satan continues, the continuous enlightened guidance of the Holy Ghost is absolutely essential."
--Elder Keith K. Hilbig, "Quench Not the Spirit Which Quickens the Inner Man", October 2007 General Conference
I went searching for Joseph Smith's quote & found this in Elder Richard G. Scott's talk,
The Power of Correct Principles.
Joseph Smith’s inspired statement, “I teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves,” still applies. (Quoted by John Taylor, in Millennial Star, 15 Nov. 1851, p. 339.) The Lord uses that pattern with us.
- Elder Richard G. Scott, "The Power of Correct Principles", Ensign, May 1993, 32
No comments:
Post a Comment