I took a break of a few days from making entries to this blog. But Ash Wednesday was yesterday, March 9, & I started reading The Book of Mormon for Lent. I went to Read the Scriptures dot com & set up a schedule to read the BOM in 46 days. That means I have to read approximately 140 verses a night. This is my second day & surprisingly 3 out of the 4 quotes are new.
These first 2 quotes were sent last night, but I was trying to get my spreadsheets & scripture journal set up, so I didn't take the time to make an entry.
"The Lord doesn't expect us to work harder than we are able. He doesn't (nor should we) compare our efforts to those of others. Our Heavenly Father asks only that we do the best we can - that we work according to our full capacity, however great or small that may be."
--Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "Two Principles for Any Economy", Ensign, Nov 2009, 55–58
Work to our full capacity. Somehow, I don't think that means sitting on our butt reading or vegging in front of the computer.
"Despite the changes which come into our lives and with gratitude in our hearts, may we fill our days - as much as we can - with those things which matter most. May we cherish those we hold dear and express our love to them in word and in deed."So, then, the very next quote given me follows President Uchtdorf's counsel. "Fill our days with those things which matter most." Sigh.
--Thomas S. Monson, "Finding Joy in the Journey,", Liahona, Nov 2008, 84–87
Hmmmm, very interesting! You said, "I don't think that means sitting on our butt reading." I'm not sure about that. We just need to pace ourselves. Do a little here and a little there to even out our day. Reading a novel can help us relax our minds for a while and go on an adventure mentally. Even President Hinckley said his favorite novel was Dicken's "A Christmas Carol" and encouraged people to read it. Because of his encouragement, I decided to read it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think we just need to pace ourselves throughout the day.
ReplyDelete