Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
~ Winston Churchill

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Faith & obedience

As I was searching for the quotes tonight, I found a quote about how thoughts mold our features here by President David O. McKay. It reminded me of a workshop I went to last year at the Hospice Conference at FCMC. Tracie Jensen was telling about singing in the choir at church without her contacts in. She saw a woman in the congregation & she looked like a witch. She kept looking at this woman, but without her contacts she didn't recognize her. She made a special note of her dress & hair color so she could get close to her after Sacrament Meeting. When she did find her, she said her face was dragged down into a frown & she wore bright red lipstick. She did look like a witch. You almost have to hear Tracie tell this story.

Now, to get back on subject, both the quotes tonight talk about faith
"I am convinced that there is no simple formula or technique that would immediately allow you to master the ability to be guided by the voice of the Spirit. Our Father expects you to learn how to obtain that divine help by exercising faith in Him and His Holy Son, Jesus Christ. Were you to receive inspired guidance just for the asking, you would become weak and ever more dependent on them. They know that essential personal growth will come as you struggle to learn how to be led by the Spirit."
--Richard G. Scott, "To Acquire Spiritual Guidance", Ensign, Nov 2009, 6–9

Isn't that what life is? A struggle. Sometimes I catch myself with a frown. I have to literally unclench my jaws or purposely smile to relax the muscles in my face.
"To do well does not mean everything will always turn out well. The key is to remember that faith and obedience are still the answers, even when things go wrong, perhaps especially when things go wrong."
--David E. Sorensen, "Faith Is the Answer," Ensign, May 2005, 72

No comments:

Post a Comment